- Average Points Score: 4.0
- 4.0 in this subject at GCSE
- Mr Dolan
- Miss Pearson
- Mrs Rasool
- Mr Saleem
The media is everywhere, and inﬂuences information, and how the entertainment ﬁlm industry, music industry, video games, industry, print industry and new media.
If you’re contemplating a career in the media, or are simply interested in any of the above media sectors, you will ﬁnd this course stimulating and enjoyable.
You’ll write various essays requiring skills of analysis, interpretation and debate. You will be able to discuss topics like globalisation of the media, democracy in the online age, advertising, media regulation and the impact of social networking sites on traditional media platforms.
You will learn:
- how to research, plan and construct media products using appropriate technical and creative skills
- to evaluate your own practical work
- to understand codes and conventions of the different platforms (broadcasting, e-media, print)
- to develop enquiry, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- to develop your knowledge and understanding of media concepts, contexts and critical media debates and issues.
Media complements a number of other subjects and potential progression routes. If you are considering humanities and social sciences subjects you will enjoy the investigative nature of media effects debates; if you are studying creative arts subjects the creative challenges of the production tasks will appeal to you and if you are studying science based subjects you will enjoy the different academic approach to the study of media texts. The course helps you to develop a critical overview of the media and our own consumption of the media.
The course gives students a wide array of skills to prepare you for taking a university degree in subjects including Media Studies, Journalism, Graphic Design, Marketing and other business or creative subjects.
All industries rely upon the media to support their business interests, whether it be a Facebook page, Twitter update, full blown website or weekly publication/blog.