- Average Point Score: 5.5
- English Language GCSE Grade 4
- Grade 5 in this subject at GCSE – and a recommendation from your Language teachers required
- To have a better chance of succeeding a Grade 6 at GCSE is recommended
- Mrs Elphick
- Miss Hollin
German is for a new breed of thinkers, artists, journalists and travellers. If you want to be a real player in the 21st century, learning German will give you the edge you need. Keep in mind: 100 million people worldwide communicate in German!
With knowledge of German, you improve your employment opportunities – Germany has the largest economy in the European Union and the ﬁfth largest in the world.
Studying German puts you in high demand. It is a leading language of science, literature, art, philosophy and history.
Studying German at A Level will give you every opportunity to:
- Develop the knowledge and skills you acquired at GSCE Level and therefore use German in a wide range of contexts
- Gain a useful insight into another culture and reﬂect on various aspects of contemporary society
- Enhance your employment prospects, facilitate your foreign travel and have the enjoyment of using your linguistic skills around the world
Languages are universally useful and you can combine German with any subject. Learning a foreign language improves your skills of analysis and interpretation and this can complement all your studies. As more and more companies work closely with businesses in other countries, many kinds of workers will be needed who can communicate in different languages and understand other cultures. No matter what career you choose, if you have learned a second language, you will have a real advantage.
You can use your language knowledge in many areas of employment. You can study German at degree level and many university programmes teach languages in conjunction with other subjects. You could even decide to study abroad in a German speaking country for a summer, a term or maybe for a year. When you study a language, you learn about how to learn a language, so acquiring the next one will be even easier.