- Average Point Score: 4.0
- English Language GCSE Grade 4
- Mr Pacey
- Mrs Kan
- Ms Ritchie
- Mrs Smith
- Ms Ridings
English Language is a fantastic opportunity to:
- study a range of different texts
- learn about the key language frameworks
- consider different varieties of language, such as the differences between how males and females speak
- ﬁnd out about how language has changed
- discuss the attitudes people have to varieties of English, such as different accents and dialects
- learn about how children acquire language
- investigate an area of language that particularly interests you
- develop your own creative writing
This course will suit you if you enjoy analysing a wide variety of texts from advertisements to magazine articles. You will discover how to look at everyday texts in great detail, including transcripts of spoken language. You will learn all about the key language frameworks and be able to discuss how texts are written and received.
Many students study English Language alongside subjects such as English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics, Sociology, Psychology, Languages or Drama. However, it combines very effectively with most A level subjects.
Completing this course will provide you with excellent preparation to study English at university; many students go on to study or pursue careers in law, journalism, teaching and drama. However, there are lots of opportunities available to students of English Language as it develops many of the skills that are highly valued by universities and employers.